Grand National Each Way Betting Guide
Seasoned horse racing betting punters might want to look away now, but with the bulk Grand National bets, each year being placed by ‘once-a-year’ punters then placing a simple wager can still be a daunting prospect. But, don’t worry, there is good news. Grand National Betting odds are in your favour once you get a handle on each-way betting with our Grand National Each way betting guide for 2021. Grand National Each way betting is the most popular form of betting, accounting for around 75% of all bets placed at Aintree.
Long gone are the days of the smoke-filled betting offices with intimidating punters lurking inside and now the fresh and friendly high street bookmakers are happy to help, whether you are a pro or a novice Grand National better.
Virtual Grand National Each Way Betting
You will be able to place each-way bets on the Virtual Grand National this year on April 9th at 8pm, the night before the big race.
Bet Each Way on the Grand National with these bookmakers
Grand National Special Offers Free Bets, NRNB, Best Odds Guaranteed, Extra Places
- Free Bet Up To £50 for Winning Doubles, Trebles, Four Folds and Five FoldsOpen to QuinnBet customers aged 18 years or over based in the UK & Ireland. Applies to Doubles, Trebles, Four Folds and Five Folds+. Minimum odds are 3/10 (1.30) per selection. To qualify you need to have a winning double of at least 2 selections. The maximum free bet that you can receive under this promotion is £/€50 per day. The free bet can be used on all QuinnSports events at minimum odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater with maximum odds of 100/1. T&C's apply.
- £30 SPORT & CASINOCUSTOMERS WILL BE AWARDED £15 IN FREE BETS AND £15 IN FREE SPINS FOR CASINO AND VEGAS. NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY, FREE BETS VALID FOR 3 DAYS. FREE SPINS VALID FOR 30 DAYS. T&Cs APPLY
- Bet £10, Get £20 In Free Bets18+. New members. £10 min deposit & bet on sportsbook, placed & settled at 1.5 min odds within 14 days of sign-up. Win part of E/W bets. 2 non-withdrawable £10 Free Bet Tokens: accept in 7 days, valid for 7 days from acceptance (ex. E/Ws & Multiples), stakes not returned. Click here for Rules & Exclusions. Bet Responsibly. BeGambleAware.org
- Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers at bet365Min deposit £5. Bet Credits available for use upon settlement of bets to value of qualifying deposit. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
- Boost Three Accas! Every Customer, Every Week.Customers will receive 3 x Odds Boost tokens each week. Odds Boost tokens will expire 7 days after crediting. Odds Boost tokens will be applied at 12pm UK time each Monday.Maximum stake of £10 per token. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Full T&Cs Apply.
- Best Odds Guaranteed on all UK & Irish RacingApplies to WIN and Each Way bets on Race Winner market on UK & Irish Horse racing only. Offer is not applicable for Ante-Post bets or Daily Racing Specials. Customers depositing with Moneybookers or Neteller will not be eligible for Best Odds Guaranteed. The maximum additional payout as a result of Best Odds Guaranteed is capped at £25,000 per customer, per day across all channels. Full T&Cs Apply.
- Bet £20 on Virtuals Get £5 Sports Free BetCustomers must stake a total of £/€20 + at odds of 2.0+ on Virtual sports before 23:59 BST Sunday each week to qualify. £/€5 free bet will be credited Monday, use within 3 days, Stake not returned. Full T&Cs Apply.
- Best odds guaranteed on all UK & Irish RacingBest odds guaranteed does not apply to antepost, international racing (unless states), enhanced accumulators or any other special markets. Bets must be placed the hours of 12pm and 9:30pm on the day of the actual race to qualify. The max increase per bet or per race as a result of the offer is capped at £/E2000.
- GET UP TO £100 IN FREE BETSNew customer offer. Place 5 x £10 or more bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100 bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply.
- Best Odds GuaranteedApplies to bets placed from 8.30 am the day of the race up to a max benefit of £/€250 per customer/per race. Does not apply to ante-post betting or any other specials. Applies to all singles and multiples including Lucky 15/31/63, Qualifying bets must be made using your own funds Trixies, Patents, Yankees etc. T&C's apply.
- Money Back as Free Bet if Second to the FavouriteApplies to all UK/IRE Races Every Day! There must be a minimum of 6 Runners and the favourite must go off at odds greater than 6/4 (2.50). Max free bet refund £/€10. Does not apply where the SP Favourite goes off at odds of 6/4 (2.5) or less. The promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any QuinnBet welcome offer. T&Cs apply (18+).
- Bet £10 Get £40 - £30 In Free Sports Bets+ £10 Casino BonusNew customers using promo code M40 only. 1x per customer. Min £/€10 bet. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Free bets of 2 x £/€15 issued after first qualifying bet settles. Max £/€10 Bonus. 35x wagering requirement. Max redeemable bonus: £25. Casino bonus expires after 72 hours. UK & Eire only. Additional T&Cs, including free-bet, game, location, payment method and stake contributions apply.
- £30 IN FREE BETS + £10 CASINO BONUSMin deposit of £/$/€10 • A qualifying bet is a ‘real money’ stake of at least £/$/€10 • Min odds 1/2 (1.50) • Free Bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expires after 7 days • Free Bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time • Withdrawal restrictions & full T&Cs apply
- Best Odds Guaranteed on UK and Irish Horse RacingOnly UK and Ireland meetings are eligible • 18+ • Only registered members from UK and Ireland can take part in this offer • BOG icon must be displayed on betslip to qualify • Cash stakes only • Withdrawal restrictions and full T&Cs apply
- Bet £10 on the first race Get £5 for every other race on the card *This offer fits an 8 races meeting. Bet on the first and get x7 free bets for the other 7 racesNew customers only • £10 deposit using promo code • Minimum stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. withdrawal restrictions & full T&C’s apply
- Bet £10 on the first race Get £5 for every other race on the cardNew customers only • £10 deposit using promo code • Minimum stake £10 at odds of 1/2 (1.5) • Free bets credited upon qualifying bet settlement and expire after 7 days • Free bet stakes not included in returns • Deposit balance is available for withdrawal at any time. withdrawal restrictions & Full T&C’s apply
- 4 To Win - Free horse racing predicto18+. UK&IE only. A valid Betway account is required to participate in the promotion. The total prize pot each day is £/€1,000 with an increased jackpot on ITV meetings. Customers’ selections must be confirmed and submitted before the start of the first eligible race of the day. Promotion is valid until the first eligible race of the day. T&C’s apply.
- Get up to £10 in Free BetsNew UK customers only. £10 Min Deposit. 100% matched free bet on your first deposit of £10. 1 x wagering at odds of 1.75+ to unlock Free Bets. Debit Card deposits only. This offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. Full Terms apply. 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way.
- Bet £10, Get a £10 FREEBETNew Customers only. First £/€10+ (£/€10 E/W) real money bet at odds of 2.0+ qualifies. £/€10 freebet credited following bet settlement and must e used on sports. Freebet stakes not returned, use within 7 days. Full T&Cs apply, 18+ BeGambleAware.org
Each April the ‘once-a-year’ bettors come out of the woodwork to place their annual Grand National bet, but with plenty of help, it’s a lot easier betting on the world’s greatest steeplechase these than it used to be. High street bookmakers, like Unibet and William Hill, will draft in extra staff to help, while with online betting at an all-time high then you don’t even have to leave the house to place a bet on the 2021 Grand National!
Most punters will just want to pick out a horse to win the Grand National and then simply place a set stake on that horse crossing the line before all the others do. However, the next step up from a ‘win-only’ option is the popular VIRTUAL GRAND NATIONAL EACH WAY BETTING.
What is Each Way Betting?
In simple terms, an Each Way Betting it’s a bet that is split into two.
The first part of your bet will go on your horse to WIN the Grand National and the other part will go on the horse to be PLACED in the race (more on what placed means below).
The two bets are always of equal stakes – £5 on the win and £5 on the place.
Why choose Grand National Each Way betting over Simple Win Betting?
Think of Grand National each way betting as a bit of an insurance bet.
The total bet will cost you double, but should your horse NOT WIN, but finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th then you’ll still get a return from your bookmaker. It really all depends on a few things –
- What kind of punter you are
- How much you fancy your Grand National horse to actually win the race
However, in a race like the Grand National with 40 horses, plus 30 unique fences to jump, you might have by far the best horse in the race but it’s still got to get around and get through the 4+ miles safely.
If – for example – you have £20 to spend on your Grand National bet you will win more if you are just placing the full £20 on the horse to win.
But, but if you are placing £10 a Grand National Each way bet (total stake £20), you won’t win as much for the horse winning, but you will be safe in the knowledge that if the horse is pipped on the line to be 2nd, or runs on to take 3rd or 4th then you’ll still be paid out – ‘insurance bet’. You won’t get that with a simple win bet.Use our EACH WAY Bet Calculator
Grand National Each way Betting Example
Don’t forget an each-way bet is made up of two parts so when working out any each-way bet this same principle applies.
You’ve got a win bet and a place bet – so after the race, you need to ask yourself two questions:
- Did my horse win?
- Did my horse finish 2nd 3rd or 4th?
If the answer to both questions is ‘YES’ then you’ve clearly just backed the winner of the 2021 Grand National and you are in line to be paid out on both parts of your each-way bet.
If the answer is yes to the second question – did my horse finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th? – then you’ve won your place part of your each-way bet and will be paid out at ¼ the odds. These odds will either be what you decided to take at the time you placed the bet or if you ‘let the bet ride’ it will be settled at the industry SP odds at which the horse won.
Bet: £10 each-way (total stake £20) on RED RUM
RED RUM: Wins the Grand National @ 16/1
Win part of your each-way bet (£10) Returns = £160 (+ your £10 stake back) = £170
Place part of your each-way bet (£10) Returns = £40 (1/4 of 16/1 = 4/1) (+your £10 stake back) = £50
TOTAL OVERALL WINNINGS = £170 + £50 = £220
If RED RUM had finished 2nd, 3rd or 4th in this race then you’d only qualify for the place part of your bet = £50
Note: Just to confuse you a bit here – a lot of bookmakers will add in special ‘extra places’ on the day. So, for example, if your horse finishes 5th or 6th you might still get paid out (more on Grand National bookmaker special offers below).
If you’ve placed your Grand National bet online then you’ve nothing much to worry about at the bookmakers will work out the bets for you. Yes, they will also do this in the shop, but as it’s a busy day for betting shop staff it’s always advised to know what your returns are before accepting your winning cash off them after the race.
Common Grand National Each Way Betting Mistakes
These mistakes mainly surround the staking as novice punters may not be aware that an each-way bet is, in fact, TWO BETS – therefore, your stake (whatever you decide that is going to be) needs to also be doubled.
For example, A £10 EACH-WAY BET ON A GRAND NATIONAL HORSE WILL COST YOU £20 IN TOTAL (£10 for the win part of the bet, £10 for the horse to be placed).
Another common mistake, if you are placing a bet in a shop, is to make sure you write ‘each-way’ or ‘E/W’ next to the name of the horse you are betting on.
Or, if you are betting on the Grand National online then when placing your bet this way will always require you select an e/w button or box to tick. The good news online though is that your total stake will be worked out for you should you tick the ‘each-way’ button.
Grand National Each way Betting Rules
With the Grand National being a handicap race that will always have 16+ runners then the industry set each-way terms that this race falls into is highlighted below.
2 – 4 Runners: Win Only (1st place only)
5 – 7 Runners: A 1/4 the odds over 2 places (1st and 2nd place)
8 – 11 Runners: A 1/5th the odds over 3 places (1st, 2nd and 3rd place)
12 – 15 Runners: A 1/4 the odds over 3 places (1st, 2nd and 3rd place)
16 or more Runners: A 1/4 the odds over 4 places (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place)
16 or more Runners: A 1/4 the odds over 4 places (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place) – This means that because the race has 16+ runners and the type of race is a handicap then all UK bookmakers have to pay their customers on the place part of the bet at ¼ the odds and for places 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th.
In a nutshell – the horse you are betting on in the 2021 Grand National needs to finish in the top 4 in order for you to win something!
Will Bookmakers Offer Extra Each-Way Places?
Yes, a lot will. We touched on this earlier and with competition as strong as ever to get your custom then always shop around for extra places.
As mentioned the standard industry place terms for the Grand National (providing there are 16+ runners) is set at 4 places, but a lot of the main bookmakers will entice customers in by offering extra places. Some bookmakers where you can find such betting offers include:
These bookmakers give you also interesting Grand National Free Bets offers.
Some bookmakers have even been known to offer places right down to 7th and 8th in the past so be sure to hunt around for the best offer. All we would say is that those bookmakers that might be offering extra places on top of the standard 1-2-3-4 may well compensate this my offering slightly worse odds on the race so take this into account. Yes, you might be getting 1-2-3-4-5 places, but that might be sacrificed by having to back a horse at 10/1 that is 14/1 elsewhere.
Betting on Grand National from the US
Not in the UK this year but still want to bet on the Grand National? Don’t worry, there are US horse race betting sites that will give you the same great Grand National action! Brush up on how to bet on horses in the US to make sure you can place all your bets in time.
Which Grand National Horses Should I Bet Each-way On?
With the betting on the Grand National each year always extremely competitive then punters should shop around and get value betting odds.
The general rule with Grand National each way betting is that because the place part of an each-way bet is ¼ of the winning odds, the benchmark price to bet each-way is around 4/1 or higher.
Anything lower than 4/1 and unless the horse wins you’ll actually return a loss on your overall stake.
But the good news about the Grand National is that it’s extremely rare for horses to be priced-up in the betting market at 4/1 or shorter. Even the favourites in the race are generally around 8/1-10/1, while in 2009 we even saw a 100/1 winner of the Grand National – a ¼ of 100/1 is still a tasty 25/1 so even the place part of this bet for punters saw a mega return.GRAND NATIONAL Betting Offers